Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Gmail..where to find material for autobiography

Apparently Gmail was launched 10 years back on 31st March, 2014. This article explains how Gmail was born. It is a very good read. 
My first mail id was at yahoo. I still maintain a yahoo account and it has improved a lot lately. I remember when I first made an email account, it was at a cyber cafe. I mentioned it to my uncle and he did not believe it because he thought it cost lots of money. 
I first heard of gmail in 2005 summers. That was also the time when I first discovered orkut.There were competitions where gmail invites was a prize. Aakash, then at kgp, sent me an invite and then I had 5 free invites I think. 
Then gmail introduced chat in the same window. It was time before any cloid storage and app like pocket. USBs were costly. We used to save our assignments and reports on gmail. I used chat feature of gmail to send web links to unsuspecting friends so that I can later search and find these at one place. Writing this, i feel old.

No comments: