Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Book Review: Beyond the lines by Kuldeep Nayyar


Kuldeep Nayyar (KN henceforth) was an information officer with Government of India and a journalist/columnist who had a front row seats to many important events in independent India. He wrote many books and columns in his life time. I am currently reading his autobiographical memoir titled: 'Beyond the lines: An Autobiography'. 

Book starts with brief description of his days in Sialkot in Pakistan where his father was a physician and describe the changes in environment as partition day approaches. After the partition, KN had a chance to meet and work closely with many people who were responsible to take many decisions concerning partition and he very skilfully explains the situation as he observed and then justification which people gave at some later day behind their decision which led to those situations. This reflects badly on my lack of knowledge but I was not aware that there were many variables and possibilities considered before partition and although I don't have any deeper understanding of Kashmir issue, at least now I know that I don't know much about Kashmir issue.
 

   

No comments: